MIDDLE SCHOOL ADMISSION/OPEN HOUSES
George Jackson Academy
George Jackson Academy has extended the deadline to May 1, 2021. If you are still looking for a middle school for your son, please take a look at GJA. https://gjacademy.org/
Families may complete part one of the application on our website https://gjacademy.org/applyto6thgrade/.
Once part one is complete they will be prompted to download the Teacher Recommendation and Transcript Forms.
Attached below are both forms for your reference, in addition to an information sheet about GJA and important dates to know for this new cycle.
Have a great weekend,
Director of Admission and Enrollment
George Jackson Academy
104 St. Mark's Place
New York, NY 10009
Antonia Pantoja Preparatory Academy Open House March 24th at 5:30 pm
The Middle School Application deadline is extended for families to Tuesday, February 23rd.
If you've already applied, great—you’re all set. Want to make changes to your application? You can do so any time before the February 23rd deadline.
If you haven’t applied yet, we want your middle school application! There is no downside to applying now, even if you’re unsure of your family’s plans for the fall.
- Remember that submitting your child’s application is your best chance of getting an offer to a program you want.
- Add up to 12 programs to your child’s application in your true order of preference, with your first-choice program at the top as #1. There is no better strategy.
There are three possible ways to apply:
- Online at MySchools.nyc—Watch this video tutorial for a step-by-step walkthrough!
- Through your child’s current school counselor
- Through a Family Welcome Center
Want to learn more? Visit schools.nyc.gov/Middle. While you’re here, watch our video series, which walks families through the middle school admissions process. NEW videos are now available about the factors that determine offers and how to choose programs for your application.
Questions? We’re here to help with your application and any questions! Talk to your current school counselor or contact a Family Welcome Center.
The Middle School Admissions Team, Office of Student Enrollment
Esperamos que usted y sus seres queridos se encuentren bien después de la tormenta de nieve de esta semana. Le enviamos este mensaje para recordarle que, si su hijo ingresará a la escuela intermedia este otoño, tiene menos de una semana para presentar la solicitud. La fecha límite es el martes, 23 de febrero de 2021.
Si ya solicitó el ingreso, no necesita hacer nada más. ¿Quiere hacer cambios en su solicitud? Puede hacerlo en cualquier momento antes de la fecha límite del 23 de febrero.
Si todavía no ha llenado y enviado la solicitud de ingreso, esperamos que lo haga. Solicitar el ingreso ahora no tiene ninguna desventaja, incluso si no está seguro de sus planes para este otoño.
- Recuerde que, al enviar la solicitud, tendrá más probabilidades de obtener una oferta de cupo en un programa al que desea que su hijo asista.
- Incluya hasta 12 programas en la solicitud de su hijo en su verdadero orden de preferencia, poniendo su primera opción en el primer lugar. Esa es la mejor estrategia.
Hay tres maneras de solicitar el ingreso:
- Por internet en MySchools.nyc. Vea este video, que lo guiará paso a paso.
- Con ayuda del consejero escolar de su hijo.
- A través de un Centro de Bienvenida a las Familias.
¿Necesita más información? Visite schools.nyc.gov/Middle. No deje de ver nuestra serie de videos, que lo guiará a través del proceso de admisión a la escuela intermedia. Encontrará videos NUEVOS acerca de los factores que influyen en la determinación de las ofertas y cómo elegir programas para su solicitud.
¿Tiene preguntas? Estamos para ayudarlo con su solicitud y cualquier pregunta que tenga. Converse con su consejero escolar o comuníquese con un Centro de Bienvenida a las Familias.
Le deseamos lo mejor,
Equipo de Admisiones a la Escuela Intermedia, Oficina de Inscripción Estudiantil
Blueprint Middle School Open House
P: 718-822-2780 ext 1213
Like & Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram: @BlueprintMS562
Albert Einstein I.S. 131 Open House
If you've missed the tour contact:
Natalie Rodriguez, Parent Coordinator
Albert Einstein I.S. 131
885 Bolton Avenue
Bronx, NY 10473
Bronx Academy for Multimedia-Jan. 14th at 6 PM
Desiree Vega - Parent Coordinator
730 Bryant Ave. Bx, NY 10474
Urban Institute of Mathematics
M.S. 337 Open House Info
If you missed the Fifth Grade Family Meeting on January 5th,
click 5th Grade Family Meeting and use the passcode: 92+KEP3y
Topic: Middle School Process, Principals from 5 Middle Schools will be here to tell us more about their schools.
an engaging, inspiring and challenging environment that ensures the acquisition of skills and strategies for learning that transfers to life beyond
their School of Inquiry and Social Justice experience. This will enable each student to flourish as a responsible citizen in the global community.
Please fill out the information in the link below.
M.S. 101 Open House/info
Welcome to Middle School Admission
In New York City, most students apply to middle school during their fifth grade year. Learn more about the middle school admissions process in our video series, and scroll down for the latest admissions information and updates.
NYC MYSchools: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/
Online directory: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/schools/middle-school/
Watch the NYC Middle School Admissions Video Series
Welcome to Middle School Admissions
- The middle school application is not yet open, and it no longer closes on December 4, 2020.
- You will have additional time to apply.
- We appreciate your patience and will update this page with more detailed information and a timeline as soon as we can.
- Sign up for our middle school admissions email list(Open external link) and we'll notify you when the application opens! You will also get updates, key date reminders, and tips throughout the admissions process.
Need a school now? Learn what to do on our New Students page.
What You Can Do Now
- Explore schools and programs with the searchable MySchools middle school directory.(Open external link) You don't need an account to start browsing!
- Search. Type any school's name in the search box to learn more about it. Search for schools by features or offerings, such as "debate" or "band."
- Filter. Use the filter buttons below the search box to narrow down the list of schools based on what is important to you, such as accessibility, location near a specific subway line, sports offered, and more.
- Learn where your child can apply to middle school. In NYC, students are eligible to apply to middle school in their middle school district (based on their home address) and, when different, in the district where they currently attend elementary school.
- Use this map tool (Open external link) to look up your child's school district(s).
- Find your middle school district. Enter your child's home address in the search bar to display their district number and any zoned middle schools they may have. Your child can apply to all middle schools in this district.
- Find your elementary school district. Enter the name of your child's current school in the search bar to display its district. If this differs from their middle school district, your child can apply to middle schools in both of these districts.
- Watch our NYC Middle School Admissions Video Series—scroll up to the top of this page to view. We'll walk you through the steps of applying to middle school in New York City.
- We're here to help! Call us at 718-935-2009
Who Can Apply?
All New York City children are guaranteed a seat at a public middle school. Apply to middle school when your child is in their last year of elementary school. Your child must be both of the following to apply:
- A current New York City resident
- A current fifth grade student, or a current sixth grade student if their elementary school ends in sixth grade
All of the following students are welcome to apply to middle school: current public district and charter school students, private or parochial school students, students with disabilities, students with accessibility needs, students learning English, students in temporary housing, and LGBTQ and gender nonconforming students.
Find Middle Schools
Middle school offers students opportunities to explore their interests, discover new subjects, and learn more about themselves. Apply online to middle schools with your child’s personalized middle school application.
Schools on Your Application
In your child’s personalized online application, you’ll be able to see and explore every middle school program that they’re eligible to apply for and, if they get an offer, to attend. Middle schools have different eligibility criteria:
- District schools offer a program or programs open only to students in the district where your family is zoned for middle school and, when different, in the district where your child goes to public elementary school.
- Boroughwide schools offer a program or programs that are open to all students in your borough.
- Citywide schools offer a program or programs open to all NYC students.
Some schools or programs require an additional test or audition. Learn more on each school’s website or in the NYC Middle School Directory; scroll down to find the directory for your district. You can schedule some of these additional admissions requirements in MySchools, our new online application system.
For Bronx Students and Families. Starting in fall 2019, all Bronx students and residents are eligible to apply to all Bronx middle schools. If your child is a Bronx student or resident, this means:
- All Bronx middle schools will appear as options for your child's middle school application.
- All students who live or go to school in a Bronx district will have an admissions priority to attend middle schools in that district or districts.
- If seats remain, applicants who live and go to school in other Bronx districts will then be considered for admission.
Diversity in Middle School Admissions
Middle schools across the city are participating in an initiative to increase diversity within their programs—learn more on our Diversity in Admissions page.
Charter schools have a separate admissions process. Contact charter schools directly to learn how to apply.
Your Middle School Choices
- MySchools(Open external link). During the application period, use MySchools to learn which district (1-32) your child is zoned to for middle school, find choices for your application, and apply. Learn your child's zoned middle school any time of year by entering your address here.
- Use last year's guide to start exploring programs in your district and learn about middle school admissions, including admissions methods and priorities for specific middle schools. For the most up-to-date admissions information, please refer to MySchools.
- Alternative Middle Schools. Learn about programs for students older than 13 who have not yet completed eighth grade.
Learn About Schools' Virtual Events and Resources
*Due to the ongoing pandemic, we encourage you to visit schools' websites to learn more about them.*
Most years, visiting a school can help you learn if it may be the right place for your child. It’s also a great way to see how long the trip is from home. This year, please contact schools directly for the most recent information, such as whether they will hold virtual open houses or information sessions.
How to Apply
Most NYC students apply to middle school during their fifth grade year, or if different, their final year of elementary school.
The middle school application period for students applying this year to enter middle school in fall 2021 is not yet open.
In your child's personalized online application, you can see and explore every middle school program that they are eligible to apply for and, if they get an offer, to attend. From these options, you can add up to 12 middle school programs to your child’s application. Add the programs that interest you and your child the most and rank them in your true order of preference in the application.
- Consider adding the programs where your child has an admissions priority or guarantee, such as their zoned school(s) or continuing school. You do not have to place any of these programs as your first choice to keep your priority.
- Make an appointment to talk to your child's school counselor. Discuss your child's middle school application choices and how you plan to rank them.
- Use MySchools to explore your child's middle school options.
- Read last year's Middle School Admissions Guide—PDF and accessible versions are available below.
During the application period, you can apply in English, Spanish, Chinese, Bengali, Russian, Arabic, Urdu, Haitian Creole, Korean, or French in MySchools(Open external link). If you would like to apply using another language, call us and ask for an interpreter.
Questions? We're here to help.
- Talk to your Parent Coordinator
- Call us at 718-935-2009
- Contact a Family Welcome Center
Learn How Students Get Offers
Watch the following animations to see how students get offers to DOE public schools—learn why your middle school application choices matter and find out about other factors, such as admissions priorities, admissions methods, and seat availability.
Please note: 2019-2020 attendance and punctuality will NOT impact applications to middle or high schools for current 5th and 8th graders who will be applying to middle and high school this school year (for fall 2021 admissions).
In the spring, students get their middle school offers. All applicants get a middle school offer; most students get an offer to attend one of the programs ranked on their middle school application, but it is not guaranteed. Your child's offer letter will also include a list of programs where they’ve been waitlisted.
- Your child is automatically on the waitlist for any program that you listed higher on their application than the program where they received an offer. For example, if your child received an offer to your third-choice program, they are automatically waitlisted at your first-choice and second-choice programs.
- After initial offers are made and waitlists open, you can add your child to additional waitlists. (However, please note that your child's best chance of getting an offer to any program is to include it as a choice on their original application.)
- You can also check your child's place on the waitlist for any school, in real time.
- Waitlist offers are made based on seat availability, as well as the same admissions priorities and admissions methods listed in MySchools(Open external link) and the Middle School Admissions Guides (posted below).
- Schools will be in touch directly if a seat opens up and they can make your child a waitlist offer.
Learn more on our Waitlists page and by watching the tutorial that follows: